Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One Month

Colten turned one month old last week - and even though I am feeling very sleep deprived with a newborn in the house, it still makes me sad that he is growing so fast. Maybe it is because of our fertility struggle over the last several years. I can't help but wonder if this will be our last one and if it is, I want to savor every single second! Chris tells me that I am already spoiling him. Just because he cries in the middle of the night but then is happy as a lark when I pick him up and lay him in bed with me! I tell him that you can't spoil a newborn (or at least that is what I keep telling myself!).

But how am I supposed to resist this:



A friend of a friend makes these adorable iron-on "monthly" transfers. They are perfect for the monthly photo shoot. You can find them here. Here are a few more pictures from his "1 month" session:








A few highlights from Colten's first month:

  • He is VERY alert for a newborn. In fact, when he was born he was wide-eyed and alert for the first two hours or so. He studied the face of every family member holding him and would even turn his head to look for other voices that he heard. Everyone commented on how alert he was and even our nurse said she had never seen a newborn that alert. In fact, I think she used the word "trippy" to describe it...I wasn't so sure I wanted that word used in relation to my precious new baby boy, but it did make me laugh!

  • The smiles started early - around 2 weeks - and we get them regularly now (as seen in the pictures above).

  • We had a weight scare at his 2 week appointment. The doctor weighed him in at 6 lbs 10 oz - more than a pound under his birth weight of 7 lbs 12 oz. I took him in the next week to check it again and he weighed in at 6lb 8 oz. It didn't make any sense because he was eating well, had the right number of pee and poop diapers, and was a very content baby. But the doctor's scale said 6 lbs 8 oz - and scales don't lie right?? She told me to go see a lactation consultant and I made an appointment for the next day. When I took him in, he weighed in at 8 lbs 9 oz. I stood there in shock...knowing that he didn't gain a pound in 24 hours. She had 4 different scales in her office and we checked them all. Yep, my boy was a healthy 8 lbs all right! Turns out the doctor's scale was off!! I was dumbfounded and more than a little annoyed. All that stress and worry for nothing!

  • Tanner loves his little brother! He has to give him a kiss every morning on his way to school and wants to kiss on him and hold him when he gets home. I love it!!
Finally, here are a few more pics from the month. I also took weekly pictures this month because he was changing so fast!













2 comments:

Lori said...

Oh he is soooo precious! I can't believe he is already 1 month old. It does fly by fast, doesn't it? Enjoy him!

Susan said...

OH. MY. WORD! His cuteness is killin' me. I adore his smile. So precious!! So glad you have such a sweet little guy. :) Wish I could see him in person...